Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Jagua or Henna • Which to Choose

Jagua does offer some advantages that henna tattoo just can't. Because Jagua is not a heat activated paste an artist can apply it most anywhere on your body. 

For those who want temporary tattoos on the shoulders, back, side, thigh or other areas where henna is not use, this product will stain your skin. 


I do see that stencils are often sold with the kits, so if you are a beginner to this kind of art, you are in luck! You can transfer the pattern and trace it using  a squeeze bottle with a needle style tip. 


I kept doing research and have decided I will not take up the art form for the following reasons:


Cost: 

Henna Paste: I can make a several cones of first class henna paste with fresh powder and premium oils for less than $5.00 a cone.  

A 2 oz squeeze applicator of Jagua at retail costs $25.95. The kits are about the same price. I would have to charge far more for Jagua tattoos than I do for henna. 


Texture: 

Henna: I can mix the henna to be just as I like it. A more liquid paste penetrates your skin and dries more slowly (10 t0 15 minutes) so that you get a great color. 

Jagua: It is sold as a gel if I buy a pre-mix, so I have little control of the way it flows. If I buy a mix it up kit, then I can have more control but spend 3 to 5 times as much as I do for a henna cone. 


Dry Time:  

Henna: Henna paste will dry in 15 minutes. I will spray it with a lemon/sugar mixture (touch of clove oil) to help the paste stay on your skin as long as possible. You can then go out an enjoy the day. 


Jagua: Instructions suggest your remain still and allow 30 minutes to 1 hour for jagua to completely dry. There are additional instructions that indicate that getting a Jagua tattoo will define your day!

Placement:

Henna stains best on hands, feet, arms below the elbow and legs to the knee. I also offer belly tattoo for pregnancy and henna art for the head for chemo patients. 

Jaugau sites show photos of Jauga tattoo in many places I cannot place henna. Jagua vendors offer the same suggestions about placement for best color as I have listed above. 

Aftercare

Henna: You have control over the finished color. The longer you leave the paste on the skin, the hotter you get (sweating is good), the deeper the henna stain can  penetrate your skin.  

As well, after you have taken the paste off if you keep a light coat of coconut, olive, or other natural oil on the skin. If you keep the area warm over the next 48 hours you can help your design darken and last longer. 

Jagua: The final result seems to depend on leaving the paste undisturbed on your skin for as long as possible. Just as with henna, it takes 48 hours for the final color to appear. 

I think I like the idea of henna best. Each person will get their own unique finished color. Henna paste can give a wide range of tattoo shades. I make a fragrant paste that many find refreshing to wear. 

I hope you find this post helpful. If you are having good experiences getting  Jagua, please send a note and I will reconsider. 

No comments: